Victorious Victims



I used to tell my story solely for myself. I needed to have my voice heard. I needed my words and my experiences to mean something to someone other than myself. They had been locked away inside me for so long — festering, and rotting me from the inside out. Divulging my story of abuse was such a release for me. In terms of what it felt like, the only image that makes sense to me is that of a weight being lifted. I was being crushed under the weight of my secrets and my shame. As far as I could tell, the man who abused me had moved on and enjoyed his freedom while I still lived in the prison he’d constructed around me. The injustice of it all added insult to injury. I felt as though I couldn’t take a deep breath. There was no room left inside me for anything other than my pain.   

Over time, as I continued to tell more of my story and speak more about the long-term effects of the abuse, I began to realize I wasn’t just telling my story for my own sake anymore. Without any intention of doing so, my voice had become the voice of others, too. My story, theirs. I am not fully healed but neither am I fully imprisoned, and those who still live within the confines of their shame can see through my story what is also possible for them. My voice may be theirs, for now, but perhaps soon it will be their time to use their own voices and tell their own stories. 

That’s the beauty of doing this together. I am carrying a torch in the darkness. There are others ahead of me carrying their own torches, some of which burn with more strength than my own. They are helping to light the way and I follow the light of their torches and I feel their warmth. And there are those behind me whose torches are yet unlit, whose burdens are still so heavy, and they follow the light of my torch. When I stumble I am strengthened by those ahead of me who gently say “Get up. Keep going. There is still so much fight left in you. You are a victor,” and I am strengthened by those behind me who plead, “We need your light. Please get up. Please keep going so that we can, too.” 

There is no finish line to reach. There is no stop-watch urging us to speed up our process of healing. There is no rulebook that says if our torch is not yet lit we are no longer worthy of unconditional love.

We are allowed to grow weary and stumble. We are allowed to go at our own pace. We may mourn what we lost to abuse. We may rejoice in our small steps toward healing. 

It’s true that I was a victim of abuse. But even in my victim-hood, I was a victor. Each day that I rose and faced mistreatment and the prison bars of abuse, I was victorious. And years later, each time that I raised my voice to tell my story, I was victorious. Even now, much further down my path of healing, when I am on occasion consumed by the pain that wells up inside of me, I am still a victor. 


Our victory is not measured by an impossible and unkind standard of healing that others may try to impose on us. Our victory is measured by our voices, whether internal and unheard by others or external and heard by many, which rise with each new day and say,

 “I am here. I matter. I will try again.”

Comments

  1. Natalie- I am 49 years old, and I have experienced many types of abuse: molestation at age 5, exposure to wife beating throughout childhood, sexual harassment within my family and in school. The church added its own spin on things: condemnation of feminism, enforcement of gender roles. I was sure God called me to go to seminary, and every Christian I knew told me women don't do that.
    Here is where I'm going with this. I kept my mouth shut about all of this. Mainly because I was coached, mostly by the church I think, but also by the larger society, that I should not talk about my experiences because it would be unfair to men. Nobody exactly said this, but I got this message nonetheless. And I didn't want to make all the nice men feel bad. So I monitored what I said. All the time. No kidding. I tried not to let a non-male-affirming statement leave my mouth, and for a woman who still gets the shakes being out in public due to male violence, that's a darn good effort.
    But three years ago 50 Shades of Grey came out, and it was a turning point for me. I'd really just had it with society pretending that abuse isn't real, and a Valentine's Day movie glorifying abuse was just too much. I started to ignore the monitor. And what I found is that when I talk about sexual abuse or physical abuse or sexism, men push back. I've been surprised, and hurt, by how much they push back, and how I've been lectured that I don't understand women's issues. The irony that I've lived as a woman and they haven't is completely lost on them, and believe me, I've tried to explain it. I think this is the reason I kept quiet for all those years: I sensed this sensitivity and fragility in men, and I wasn't ready to take it on.
    I really admire the work that you are doing here, and that you are doing it so young. I know you have encountered some downright horrendous pushback.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts